Thursday 6 October 2011

Arriverdeci Inghilterra!

Just three weeks ago I made the decision to ditch the desperate search for a graduate job and instead accept an offer from a family in Bologna to work for them as an au pair. So, tomorrow afternoon I’ll be saying ‘Goodbye England’ at London Gatwick Airport and ‘Ciao Italia!’ at Bologna International Airport.
I admit that it’s a scary thought packing my life into a single 23kg suitcase and wandering off 700 miles to work for an Italian family, especially when I don’t have even a basic knowledge of Italian (I made good use of my Italian-English dictionary to make my title work). Nevertheless, the flight is booked and my employers are waiting for me to bestow upon their household all my knowledge of the English language. In return, they promise to expose to me the real Italian way of living. I hope this means that by the summer of 2012 I will have done more than breathe in the Italian air. I plan to see Italy like an Italian, eat like an Italian, speak like an Italian and appreciate Italian customs and traditions, well, like a true Italian! Why else would anyone want to go to Italia? 
This blog will record my experiences in Italy (typing is easier than writing) and will perhaps be of use one day to my readers (if I have any).
So, when in Italy...well, that's what I intend to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment