Thursday 20 October 2011

The Umbrella Dance

I just love how Italians react to the rain. Bologna is famous for having the best maintained porticos in the world- ideal when the snow or rain hits. It means that you can walk for miles in Bologna and be sheltered from the rain or snow (and be shaded from the intense Italian heat in the summer).
But, alas, there will come a point on your journey where the portico ends for just a few feet. And as you find yourself waiting to cross a road to reach the next portico, suddenly this great wave of umbrellas arises around you. Just for a few moments- until the pedestrians are allowed to cross and are sheltered by the next stretch of porticos. It's just brilliant to watch the constant dance of the umbrellas around Bologna. Clearly I'm so English that I'm indifferent to a bit of rain, much to the bemusement of the people that walk past me. I shouldn't laugh so much when watching people struggling to get their umbrellas open as they fast approach the next open-air crossing. This is not a way to integrate into society. I must invest in an umbrella and join the umbrella dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment