Tuesday 11 October 2011

Italian Schizophrenia

The Italians really are polite people. You'll always get a 'preggo' in response to your expression of gratitude and they always smile as your walk past them. But something happens to them once they step behind the wheel. Some other area of the brain takes over them and all that politeness just disappears. Take them off a pedestrian pavement and give them a moving vehicle to navigate from A to B and  they're intent on destroying all demonstrations of Italian nicety.

Crossing the street with one of my charges today as I picked him up from school, I held on to him for deal life. Probably for fear for my wellbeing as much as his. The poor boy must have been on the verge of losing all blood circulation to his left wrist. But I plucked up the courage, stepped up to crossing, threw out my arm in what I hope was an aggressive action and immediately began to cross the road. Wahey! I made it!

Crossing the roads in Italy really does take some getting used to. They don't drive at a speed less than 40mph on any road and will aggressively edge the tyres of their beast inches and inches closer to your panicking self until you're literally running to get to the other side.

Word of warning on your visit to Italy: steer clear of as many crossings as possible. The Italians have places to get to and they won't let anyone get in their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment